This is a very hot pickle and will make about three to four jam jars worth.
1 tablespoon of whole fenugreek seeds; soaked in warm water for 4-5 hours and drained.
1/2 tablespoon of ground; roasted fenugreek seeds.
2 tablespoons of chili powder.
1 1/2 tablespoons of turmeric.
2 tablespoons of black mustard seeds; roughly ground.
3 tablespoons of Salt.
12 large or 18 small limes; well rinsed.
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of vegetable oil - Peanut or rape.
10 Dried Birds Eye chilies or 5 fresh Thai chilies.
4 1-inch sticks cinnamon.
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
1 tablespoon of asafoetida.
1. Mix the soaked (1 tbsp) and roasted (1/2 tbsp) fenugreek, (2 tbsp) chili powder, (1 1/2 tbsp) turmeric, (2 tbsp) mustard seeds and (3 tbsp) salt in a large bowl.
2. Chop the limes into small pieces and stir into the bowl mixture above.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and toss in the (5 to 10) chilies, (4 sticks) cinnamon, (1 tsp) pepper and (1 tbsp) asafoetida.
4. As they begin to pop, pour the oil and spice mixture over the limes and stir in. Set aside to cool to room temperature before packing in jars.
5. This pickle should be left for 2-3 months in the fridge to mature before it is eaten.